Educational Free Software and Savannah Projects
"Free Software in Education"
This Savannah group will host some of our software projects; through it, for example, we plan to produce an installable software distribution. Check back here for more.
- Dr. Genius is an interactive and graphical tool that allows the user to explore and discover Euclidean geometry.
- Ggradebook is a graphical application for teachers that allows them to track students' grades.
- GNU Typist is a typing tutor. It is an interpreter of typing tutorials, which includes tutorials for several languages and keyboard layouts.
- Solfege is program that can assist you with eartraining.
- Gcompris is a suite of educational software for young children.
Other free software useful for education can be found at:
- The section Education of the Free Software Directory maintained by the Free Software Foundation.
- The directory freeduc from OFSET.
If you wish to know more, or if you would like to join a free educational software project, please have a look at the Savannah projects in the next section. Or drop us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Savannah is the GNU collaborative project management center. Many GNU and non-GNU Free Software and Free Documentation projects are hosted there. Here are some of the ones we've found; if you belong on this list, tell us at email@example.com.
Please note that the majority of these are development-only projects in varying states of completion, and not ready for full deployment.
- bdtheme, for managing resources
- GNU GCompris, a game for the youngest - freeduc description
- geocaml (euclidian geometry)
- gtypist, a typing tutor - freeduc description
- CarboGen, a carbohydrate design system
- DNArchitect, for analysis of molecular biology sequences
- Haplo, finite element analysis software
- MoDAB, a database framework for biological data
- TeXmacs, a WYSIWYG scientific text editor - freeduc description
- Zebra, for constraint satisfaction problem solving
- Freetrack (satellite tracking)
- Gene (genealogy)
- Virtual Life Laboratory (virtual animal societies)
- wsat (satellite tracking)
- Zipdy (us zip code distance calculations)
Components and Libraries (for educational software developers)
- Advanced Game Library
- lafontaine (graphical logo interpreter)
- Braille library
- Opale (mathematical library)