adns - Advanced, easy to use, asynchronous-capable DNS client library
adns is a resolver library for C (and C++) programs. In contrast with
the existing interfaces, gethostbyname et al and libresolv, it has the
- It is reasonably easy to use for simple programs which just want to
translate names to addresses, look up MX records, etc.
- It can be used in an asynchronous, non-blocking, manner. Many
queries can be handled simultaneously.
- Responses are decoded automatically into a natural representation
for a C program - there is no need to deal with DNS packet formats.
- Sanity checking (eg, name syntax checking, reverse/forward
correspondence, CNAME pointing to CNAME) is performed automatically.
- Time-to-live, CNAME and other similar information is returned in an
easy-to-use form, without getting in the way.
- There is no global state in the library; resolver state is an opaque
data structure which the client creates explicitly. A program can have
several instances of the resolver.
- Errors are reported to the application in a way that distinguishes
the various causes of failure properly.
- Understands conventional resolv.conf, but this can overridden by
- Flexibility. For example, the application can tell adns to: ignore
environment variables (for setuid programs), disable sanity checks eg
to return arbitrary data, override or ignore resolv.conf in favour of
supplied configuration, etc.
- Believed to be correct ! For example, will correctly back off to TCP
in case of long replies or queries, or to other nameservers if several
are available. It has sensible handling of bad responses etc.
||Fri Dec 10 18:13:16 2004
- * Tue Jul 13 18:00:00 2004 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt[AT]users.sf.net> 0:1.1-0.fdr.4
- Add patch2 to make adns recognize ';' in /etc/resolv.conf
(#1626, Noa Resare).
- Add patch3 to fix bug and fix build on PPC (#1812, Colin Charles).
- * Fri Apr 16 18:00:00 2004 Michel Salim <salimma[AT]users.sf.net> 1.1-0.fdr.3
- Builds using automake 1.5, autoconf 2.13; latest automake/autoconf combination fails on FC2
- * Fri Dec 5 17:00:00 2003 Michel Salim <salimma[AT]users.sourceforge.net> 1.1-0.fdr.2
- adns-devel: Added epoch to Requires
- adns-progs: Removed superfluous dependency on adns
- adns-progs: Changed group to Applications/System